Human Body Out of Flux


Muscles Surrounding the Mouth. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.shram.kiev.ua/health/anatomy/page_1049.shtml


I did this piece on the mouth and tongue to expose our need for food, water, and communication. I planned on using the sin of the "sweet tooth" or someone who was a slave to gluttony. This exploits the greediness we experience because of taste. When the mouth is working correctly it is able to ingest food and communicate through movements of the tongue and lips. If not working correctly, a human cannot survive if they can't ingest food and water to fuel the body.

The mediums I used for this piece were acrylic and oil paints. The background is acrylic and everything else is oils. The color scheme for this was nude tones with pops of bright colors to juxtapose the candy and the mouth. The main idea is to shock the viewer with candy inhibiting the use of the mouth, especially the upper left mouth with the lollipop through the tongue. I want that image to make the viewer feel uncomfortable inside their mouth, imagining the sensation.

THUMBNAIL IMAGES

    I used the majority of my thumbnail sketches but the idea for this piece came from an old sketch I did about a year ago. It was a mouth partly open with a snake-like tongue out with heaps of candy across it. I think Kassidy was my main inspiration for that at the time. With the tongue/lollipop sketch, I tried to keep that idea alive in this piece. It almost has the same kind of energy. 



This is the sketch I did a year ago.
 IN-PROGRESS








ARTIST REFLECTION
The plans that did change throughout the piece were the types of candy I was going to use. I didn’t have any specifics but I had different ideas I was juggling during the making of this piece. I also wanted to have different skin colors and lip types but unfortunately the sketches and underpaintings I did underneath were not flexible enough to work with, so I had to stick with the same type of lips and skin color. I would change the bottom set of lips to be more exaggerated because you can’t tell that they are puckered.

Another change I made was adding the flesh/skin around the lips to create a more gory effect to the piece. I wanted to dramatize the fact that these mouths were exposed and uncomfortable. The vibe I wanted to give off was uncomfortable and self-aware, specifically of the mouth. Though, I would like to modify the shape of the skin around the mouths because some of them look wonky.

Some disappointments or difficulties I experienced during this piece was the color of the lips. Getting the exact shade of flesh red is extremely hard and I compared the paint to my own lip color very often. In the end, the lip color turned out nice on the majority with the exception being the puckered lips. Those need the most improvement.

Honestly, this piece was the most enjoyable for me. It felt like a lip study and I was fulfilling an old idea I had a year ago. The mere realization that I actually went through with that idea to an extent gives me a feeling of high satisfaction. I love this piece with all my heart and I feel like it exhibits my skills for oils very well. This was my favorite prompt.

Comments